This policy applies to you as a potential or actual non-household customer using water, wastewater or related services from South East Water Limited, trading as South East Water Choice.
Whilst many non-household customers, will be companies, some may be sole traders, partnerships or such small businesses that the data relating to the company shall also relate to the owner.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is South East Water Limited, company number 02679874, of Rocfort Road, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AH.
What information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site www.southeastwaterchoice.co.uk (our site) or on forms that have been sent to you in or by corresponding with us by phone, letter, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide to us when enquiring about becoming a customer, or when you are a customer; or when you enter a competition, promotion or survey, or complete a water efficiency tool via our site, and when you report a problem with our site.
- The information you give us may include your contact details, bank account details, and credit or debit card information, information relating to your property such as when you moved into or out of the property and whether you are responsible for paying the water charges at that property, information about your water usage, or health information for example if you register as a customer with water needs during emergencies.
- Information we collect about you. We collect the consumption information from your water meter which tells us how much water you have used since we last read the meter, and can also tell us if there is a leak or if the meter has been tampered with. The information we receive about your water usage enables us to bill you correctly for your water usage.
- With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, (although we only store that for a maximum of 48 hours) your login information if applicable, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you from other water or sewerage wholesalers or retailers, your landlord, your managing agent, or our contractors or appointed third parties.
How do we use this information?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to provide you with water, wastewater and related services. This means we can use it to help detect and quantify water leakage; help us to fulfil our duty to encourage water efficiency and for billing and payment purposes such as administering your account, verifying your identity, debt collection, responding to your queries, processing your applications and contacting you by telephone, fax, email or post in relation to our services, obtain your views or comments about our services and generally carry out our functions as a water retailer;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar or related to water or wastewater services, such as e-metering, consolidated billing;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
How do we share this information?
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and contractors and consultants for the performance of any contract we enter into with them in relation to the provision of water, wastewater and related services.
- Lawyers, local authorities, debt recovery or tracing agents in order to help us trace and collect money owed to us.
- Professional advisors in relation to the provision of our services
- Market Operator Services Limited or MOSL, the company who is established to facilitate the Open Water Programme which has been designed to ensure that non-household customers are provided with a choice of supplier and access to tailored packaged that are better suited to them.
- Our regulators
- Our successor business in the event of a sale or transfer, to whom we may transfer our rights, assets and duties and to professional advisors advising us on such transfer
- Your water and sewerage wholesaler and retailer where required
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If South East Water Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of South East Water Limited, our customers, or others.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
What are your rights?
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us. See the Contact section below.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
How to Access information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.